Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Decor Elements

Happy New Year!
I hope everyone had a great holiday, was spoiled, ate too much, spent time with loved ones, and had a lot of fun! (maybe even found a little stamping time?)
I had a great Christmas (I was spoiled!), and then we went skiing up north. Which, despite the falling, was still fun for me!
I did not find much time to stamp, as I was busy getting ready for Christmas and then for our trip up north, and once Christmas was over, I was very busy reading the third and fourth books of the Twilight series. Sooooo good! Oh my! I finished the fourth book last night, as I could not possibly go to bed with only 50 pages left to read! LOL It was worth staying up late and being a little slow to wake up this morning, just so I could find out what happens in the end. If you haven't read the fourth book, I won't ruin it for you, I will just say that the story is riveting to the end. You'll find it hard to put it down for the night with only 50 pages left to read-trust me!
Of course, now that I'm done....I have all kinds of time to catch up on the housework I've been neglecting while I read! Hopefully I'll get to squeeze in a little stamping time too. But since my stamping area is a mess waiting to be organized and tidied (hello, New Year's resolution!), I thought I'd finally post these pictures of the Decor Elements that I put up in Olivia's (my youngest) room. She really likes butterflies, so selecting these was a no-brainer. I'd been wanting to try my hand at the Decor Elements, but hadn't found any that I thought my hubby would approve of (he's our decorator-no, really! He has better taste than I do, and unfortunately, he knows it! LOL), so I was a happy girl when these came out. The picture above shows what the wall looked like in the middle of the process. I cut them out of the giant sheet, and taped them to the wall, so Olivia and I could see how it looked before we committed to anything. Some of the butterflies had two layers like the one below:
With this one I started with the Certainly Celery layer, and then added the Tempting Turquoise layer. This layer was supposed to appear just as polka dots outlining the wings. So what I had to do was carefully peel the strip, and make sure I left the dots behind:

See how the strip looks? It's dangling here, just so you could see how this looks in the middle of the process. The second layers really added a lot to the butterflies, and of course, more colour! (The wall in Olivia's room is a light purple, not quite as light as Almost Amethyst, but in the same colour family.)

This is what the butterfly wings look like, before and after peeling the strip.

This is the finished project. Olivia was very pleased with the way this turned out, and I was too. The good part about these is they take up more space on the wall than a picture would, so it really fills the space. And, I have to add, they are a lot more fun to put up than a picture!
Well that's about all for me today. I will be back soon! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment